Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Day at a Time

This has been one week that will, thankfully, soon be over. I feel as if the stress and dread of our center's closing has been weighing down on me all week. I am exhausted.

Each day seems to bring a new challenge - there are new students to tell about our closing and new tasks arising as we try to figure out all that must be done in less than a month. Monday was definitely the hardest day for me. I had to tell two of my favorite students that we were closing. One student had been studying while a few of the other teachers talked about it, so I assumed that she knew. A few minutes later she handed me a valentine that she had made; it was complete with a poem she had written for us. It had nothing to do with the closure, but it made me cry. She just gave me a big hug and told me everything would be okay. Funny thing is that she didn't know yet. When I told her she looked crestfallen. "What will we do?" If only I knew how to answer her...

I've done pretty well the last few days at avoiding crying. Until today. Another one of my students came in and he needed to be told; he went white. He was totally in shock. He asked me a few questions about it, but then just sat. After a bit, he asked me if we got more donations if we could stay open. "I've been coming here for two years. This place is like a home to me. I have three homes: my own home, Wal-Mart (where he works), and here. Now, I'm going to ask my manager and see if there is some way that Wal-Mart can make a big donation." If only it would help...

As sad and as frustrated as I am, please don't worry too much about me. I am doing okay. I have at least had the ability to throw a lot of my time and energy into planning graduation - which I am very excited about! It is going to be Friday the 27th. Hopefully we'll get some graduates to show up. Since the last graduation in May, we have had sixteen students graduate. And with the GED testing coming up next week, I'm hoping we'll have a few more to add to that list. Maybe it's a bit weird to have a graduation in February, but I think our students deserve something - and hey, we have all the caps and gowns, so why not? I just got the invitation printed today, so I'm hoping we can get them mailed out tomorrow.

Between students, closing, testing, and planning I am quite tired. I am really looking forward to the weekend. Tomorrow night I get to go to Knoxville, Tennessee to see the St. Olaf College Choir perform; my housemate Sam was in the choir there and asked if I'd go with her. I wasn't about to turn down good choral music - and we might get to grab some Indian food before the concert (which would be amazing!). I'm not quite sure what my Valentine plans are quite yet, but I don't think I'm supposed to know yet. It's kind of strange having a date for Valentine's Day; I guess I just got used to being alone for it. Not that I'm complaining...because I'm not. I'm very excited - it's just new.

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day to all! I hope everyone is doing well. I wish I could give you all hugs, but unfortunately, my arms don't reach that far.

Peace.

No comments: