Friday, January 16, 2009

Let it Be...

I'm not really sure where to start. This week has been pretty crazy - at least starting with Wednesday.

One of my co-workers left on Wednesday. Unfortunately, no one is sharing any details and so I am left to assume the worst. I have been encouraged by other co-workers though; as one of them said, she has to believe that things happen for a reason, and maybe there is something great ahead for Keith that he could not have done while still with CAP. I guess I need to have a little more faith that God is still in control of this situation and will continue to be working in and through it, regardless of how it looks to me. Maybe I should take some advice from the Beatles and just "let it be" (although I will keep praying).

Anyway, prayers for Keith and the rest of our staff during this time of transition would be amazing. With Janet already out, there will be even more responsibility on all of us now.

On a happier note: last Wednesday, while at the jail, I retested my student. I don't know if I have mentioned this, but for the last few months I have mainly spent most of my time in the jail with one student one on one. She has a pretty low literacy level and so we do the majority of our work aurally - which makes it hard for the other women when they're trying to concentrate. So we started going across the hall to the conference room (a tiny room with a tiny table and absolutely no room for more than two people) to work. Anyway, last week I retested her and while she went down a little in her reading comprehension, her math score went up. She even moved up a level! When students in the center make a level gain we try to give them a certificate to honor their achievement. So on Wednesday I gave my student her certificate. I wish y'all could have seen her. She was so excited. She asked me if she could show it to some of the other students (to which I, of course, said "yes"); so she started walking around the room and showed it to just about everyone. It was so amazing to see how much that achievement meant to her. It was definitely a moment that made both my heart and my soul happy.

Yesterday, I was able to head to the east side (yes, I drove through Hazard, KY) and attend New Volunteer Commissioning. We were able to surprise our two housemates who were commissioned, which was great. There were seven new volunteers commissioned. It was pretty fun to see commissioning from the other side this time. After the service the majority of the volunteers headed to the Floyd House (another volunteer house) for dinner, devotions, and just time to hang out; we don't all get together too often, so it was fun to see everyone. Before we all dispersed, we shared a time of prayer for one another and all participated in a Rockcastle after-devotion tradition - sharing hugs. You know it's a good day when the amount of hugs you have given/received around fifty (unless you are Jenna - because that is too much physical touch for one day).

Tomorrow we're headed off to go see Mammoth Caves. I can't wait! It has been on my list of things to do while in Kentucky. I don't know too much about it, other than the fact that they are huge. Oh and it will also be warm. The temperature inside should be around 50 degrees, while outside it should be around fifteen...I won't be complaining about the temperature inside, that's for sure. Brrr...

Peace.

1 comment:

Sarah McMurray said...

I just love reading your blog, Jess! You are doing so many great things! I'm praying for you! Hugs!