Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day in History

Happy Inauguration Day to one and all!

I don't know if everyone is quite as excited as I am about today, but I sure hope so. One of the best parts about working in an educational setting means that current events are important and can serve as subjects for class. So I was able to put on live coverage of all the inaugural events early this morning - and I didn't even have to feel bad about being completely absorbed by it. Unfortunately, however, I missed the actual inauguration because I was in jail (don't worry, I was teaching).

Someone once told me that they thought 9/11 would be the defining moment in history of my generation, in the same way that Vietnam was the defining moment in history for my parents' generation. I don't know if I completely disagree with that estimation, but I hope that 9/11 will not serve as the only defining moment for my generation. I hope that today will serve as one of those moments.

A moment that signals a step forward for a nation that has struggled since its infancy (234 years ago) to overcome issues of racism and inequality. And not that those struggles are over - there is still plenty of work to do, as I can see very clearly in my new home - but the fact that we have elected a President whose skin is not white seems like a ray of hope to me. If we can, as a nation, declare that the color of a person's skin is not a reason to keep them from holding the highest office in our land, then maybe it won't be too long until a person's gender will not hinder them from also holding that office. Maybe a time is coming when we will learn to see all people as individuals - not just the summation of their gender, race, economic status, or religion; that we will learn to see all people as equals and as image-bearers of our loving God. Maybe a time is coming when we will begin to live in light of Galatians 3:28 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

I know that today is only one day in history and that President Obama is only one man in history. But I do know that today I have felt a rekindled hope that this nation (and our world) may one day reach these goals of human equality. So feel free to laugh at my optimism, and maybe I am being a little naive, but I'm okay with that. And hey, for someone like me - who generally avoids politics - to be this excited about politics, well, that is a miracle in itself.

My prayer is that we as a nation would be able to fulfill these words - not because we are the greatest nation, or because America has something to prove, but because I believe it is the right thing to do. May we learn to love our neighbors (whomever they may be), to stand up for those who are oppressed, to protect our planet, and to seek peace.

"America, in the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations." - President Barack Obama

Blessings.

No comments: