Monday, March 23, 2009

Three Guys, a Girl, and a Campsite

This past weekend I got a chance to go on my first camping trip of the season! Four of us headed down to western McCreary county on Saturday afternoon to enjoy a night of camping out.

Paul, Dana, Allen, and myself went hiking around Peter's Mountain first. It was a nice hike, but it involved a lot of stream crossings. For a while we were crossing the stream, and recrossing the stream, about every fifty feet. Thankfully, I did not fall in - although I was teased plenty (I fell in a creek on a hike in February). Sigh.

When we finished the part of the trail we had time for, we were looping back on the service road and came across a forest ranger who was stopping cars to let them know there was a prescribed burn ahead. If we had kept going on the trail we would have hiked straight into the burn. I guess it was a good thing we got a late start...
Camping was very fun, although a little odd being the only girl...There were lots of crazy ex-girlfriend stories told. Oh well. I got to take a turn chopping wood with our sad little camp axe, and apparently I was chopping it the wrong way at first, but I think I got better at it. I was working on one particular log for about thirty minutes; Dana kept telling me to quit, but I persevered and defeated it (with only one blister!). Then the boys laughed at me and told me I was a little beaver. I was very proud of that log - and then I burned it...

My lesson learned on the trip, however, was to always make sure I have an adequate sleeping bag. The sleeping bag I borrowed had a broken zipper. Needless to say it was a very cold night. But hey, sleep is overrated, right? And thankfully, yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day so I was able to soak up some sun and enjoy being overheated.

Next month I get to go camping again, which should be fun (don't worry, I'll have a better sleeping bag!). I think we're going to the Smokeys too, so I'll get to go to a new place.


Sigh...spring is going to be fun!

1 comment:

Sarah McMurray said...

I love the picture of you with the camp ax! Way to go, Jess! ;-)