Sunday, March 8, 2009

Heigh-Ho, it's off to WorkFest I go!

I feel a bit like I am about to head off on vacation for two weeks as I will be leaving for WorkFest in just a few hours. I am so excited for the weeks ahead; it will be nice to have a change of pace and to be around new people who are full of energy and excitement as they prepare to serve those less fortunate - hopefully their energy will rub off on me and recharge my own desire to serve.

The last few weeks in Adult Ed have been draining. What with planning graduation, packing everything up, moving down to our new temporary classroom, and still just processing what a transition this is, I am a little exhausted and ready for something new. I feel a little guilty leaving right now, just because the next few days will probably be stressful for everyone at Adult Ed as they finish packing - we're supposed to be done and out by Wednesday. But I suppose I will just have to keep them in my prayers for now.

Outside of the stress and exhaustion, this last week was pretty great, although odd. Monday we had wind chill temperatures in single digits and yesterday it was in the seventies. So my wardrobe definitely changed, moving from long underwear and wearing four layers to jeans and a tank top. It is warm again today which is just wonderful. Because of the warm weather a bunch of us were able to go hiking yesterday. We headed south to McCreary county and hiked out to Dogslaughter Falls, then wound back to the Cumberland River, and eventually ended back up at the Cumberland Falls. It was a beautiful day to be outside and only made me even more excited for spring to get here!

My week was also broken up by a fun cultural outing on Thursday night. Allen surprised me by planning a trip to go see the New York Philharmonic. They were playing in Danville (about forty minutes away) and it was an excellent concert. They did a piece by Berlioz, Schumann's fourth, and Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." It was definitely fun to dress up for a night and go to the symphony.

In about two hours I have to head up to camp to start off my first week of WorkFest. I still don't exactly know what I'll be doing this week...hopefully I'll find out more today. I have a feeling my schedule will change everyday, but I'm okay with that. I should get a good mix of running errands, helping with food, working on the job sites, and hanging out with the college students. I don't know if I will have cell reception out at camp, so if you try to call and I don't call back for a few days, that is why. I should be able to check my e-mail though, and maybe I'll even post while I'm out there, we'll see.

For now, I hope that the sun is shining wherever you are and that everyone is not too sleep deprived from the daylight savings time change.

Blessings.

No comments: