Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Black Crew, Where You At?"


"Right here, right here!"
This is how we take roll call at WorkFest. There are eight different teams designated by eight different colors; at the beginning of a meeting the leader calls out each color and asks "Where you at?" In response, each crew calls back: "Right here, right here!" I have been on the black crew the last two weeks, hence, the title. Another WorkFest tradition is for the leader to call out, "Can I get a WorkFest?," to which all respond, "WorkFest!" (hence, my last post's title).

Week two of WorkFest was as good, if not even better, than the first week. We had a great group of students to work with, who were excited to be there and quickly became a close-knit group. We bonded over games of "Cow, I Win" and "Horse, You Lose" on our long car rides to the Berry's and worked hard once we arrived on site despite the weather.

Monday it poured - which was probably not the best day to be working on fascia and soffett - both of which required me to be working right under the edge of the roof. As one might guess, I was very soaked by the end of the day. The Berry's were kind enough to invite us into their home to serve us a nice hot lunch, which provided us all a much needed break from the cold and rain.
Luckily, we survived, and lived to see a bright and sunshiny Tuesday. Ironically, however, instead of working outside in the beautiful weather - most of the crew was working inside. Thankfully, I was still working on fascia and soffett, with a little siding and demolition work in on the side - so I was able to actually enjoy the weather. The demolition work came on the scene because we needed to take down a wall made of concrete blocks with cement poured in. So Dana grabbed a sledge hammer and gave everyone a turn; it was quite fun.

Wednesday was doughnut day. I don't think I mentioned this in my last post, but on Wednesdays, a few staff/volunteers go out to all eight sites and take pictures of each crew working while also delivering doughnuts as a snack during a work break. Now these doughnuts are not just any doughnuts; these are Mennonite bakery doughnuts. Basically they are about as organic and homemade as you can get - and they taste amazing (so amazing, that when Dana gave up sweets for Lent, he wrote in a clause saying that he could have Mennonite doughnuts, because cutting them out would have been going too far). Anyway, I have been on the doughnut crew the last two weeks which has been fun. I've enjoyed the opportunity to go out and see all of the different work sites, to interact with a variety of students, and to meet the majority of the families.
Dana wants his doughnut!
On Thursday we moved to a new site in Jackson County. At this house we are helping a single mom who is raising three children finish an addition to the house, re-roofing, and building two porches. I was again on fascia and soffett duty, although this time I started by tearing down the old soffett and fascia boards (which were rotten); this job gave me the only injuries I have received from WorkFest - I got a huge blood blister and cut open my right thumb - thankfully, they are both pretty easy to get over. It was crazy though, because while I was working on that stuff, the two porch crews pretty much built their porches. Granted, they weren't finished, but all that was left was the railings, spindles, and stairs. And, did I mention that these porches look awesome? Because they do. I was thoroughly impressed.

With all the camaraderie built through the week, family appreciation dinner was quite an amusing experience. I think Black Crew was the rowdiest group there. It didn't help that Paul was dared to put two and a half individual sized container's worth of butter on one small dinner roll and then eat the aforementioned roll. It was gross. As Katherine said, "I can hear your arteries clogging from here." Shiver.



All of the participant families truly are awesome. They have welcomed each crew into their homes and lives. One volunteer related the following story: after finishing up a little early on the last day, their crew leader went to visit a family whose home he had worked on five years earlier as a WorkFest project. When they arrived, the crew leader was welcomed with a warm embrace - even after five years - and the rest of the crew (whom this woman had never met before) were welcomed and told that they were family. It is amazing to realize how much we are changing lives by working on these homes. I'm not just swinging a hammer, bending metal, or drilling - I am helping someone make their home a home. I am reminded just what a privilege it is to serve others.

There is one week left of WorkFest, and, unfortunately, I will be unable to be there for all of it. I am headed back to Adult Ed for Monday and Tuesday of this week, but then I'll head out to Jackson again Tuesday night to finish the week. It is supposed to rain on Wednesday and Thursday, so any prayers for clear skies or the endurance and patience to face whatever weather comes our way would be appreciated. Prayers for all of the college students, volunteers, staff members, and participants would also be lovely.

Peace.

No comments: