Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What I Do Now

Now that Adult Ed has closed I have started helping out with CAP's Family Advocacy program. Family Advocacy coordinates two major outreach events - Christmas Boxes and School Readiness - while also helping with emergency home improvements, getting supplies/clothes to those in need, and helping to pay bills for participants.

My housemate Jenny has worked in Family Advocacy all year and I am getting to be her little helper now - basically I am her slave. Okay, not really, but when someone asks me what I do now that is usually my answer.

I have only been working here for the last week and a half, but I am really enjoying it. The Family Advocacy caseworkers (this year, Kelly and Jenny) get teased a lot by the Housing volunteers who say that they just sit around and ask the housing guys to lift stuff for them. This, however, is not true. I have actually been really impressed with all that they do and have completely gained a new respect for them. They have a wonderful opportunity to really help the people of their counties in some amazing ways.

And we don't just sit around. I feel like we are constantly lifting, sorting, or going on home visits. Which has been fun - I am learning a lot about my county and its residents.

Another nice thing is that I am still able to teach at the jail two days a week. The new center has yet to open, so Sister Therese and I keep going and working with the women to keep them from losing anything they've learned.

Next week is our county's school readiness distribution. Jenny has received many donations of school supplies, backpacks, and new clothes to hand out to 100 children in Rockcastle County - which is amazing. So we have spent many hours getting everything sorted and organized and ready for the distribution next Tuesday. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!

A few prayer requests...this week CAP made an announcement that they would have to let seventeen individuals go due to the economy. Prayer for these individuals and their families would be great. Also continued prayer for the volunteers who have, or are, transitioning out of CAP is much appreciated - it is not a good time to be looking for a job (or even a volunteer position!). And if you can, please pray that I would sleep; I am still having trouble getting a good night's rest. Thanks.

Peace.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

thanks, Jess! I'm so glad to have you around :)