Monday, July 27, 2009

Exit Luncheon

Today was my exit luncheon. There are five of us long-term volunteers who will be leaving in the next month, so the volunteer department had a short ceremony to celebrate our time and our service here in Appalachia.

The ceremony was actually really nice. All of our managers came - even Jennifer. I e-mailed her last week and invited her to come, which really meant a lot to me. I like Robyn (my new manager) a lot, but I've only been working for her for two weeks, so it was great that Jennifer made it. Anyway, the managers presented us with our plaques that commemorate our year of service and said a few words about each of us. Jennifer said a lot of wonderful things about me - which was pretty humbling because I'm sure I don't deserve half of them - but again, it meant a lot.

Jenny warned me before we headed over that they might try to get us to share, but we both figured that our group was pretty quiet so we weren't going to have to worry about it. Wrong. Allen was actually the one who started us off, which was unexpected (especially since Robyn was joking that you can never get two words out of him). In the end, we all ended up sharing a little.

It was funny because Allen talked about coming to CAP with high expectations which, for those of you who have been following this blog from the beginning, was a polar opposite from how I came to CAP. I came here because I knew that this was where God wanted me to be - but not because I thought I would love it or have a great time or make amazing friends (which I did). I thought I would hate it here and that I would sit in my room and read five books a week or something. Thankfully, God had other plans and I came into a community that fit me, strengthened and encouraged me, and loved me. And I would not trade the last year for anything (except maybe world peace).

As I started reflecting on my time, I realized I was about to cry (one of many times that happened throughout the luncheon), so I cut my little speech short. It was wonderful to hear what all the other volunteers had to say about their experiences here and to just share that space with them.

At the close of the ceremony, we were presented with our safety awards for being accident free all year. CAP gives out mugs as safety awards. Ironically, we all received mugs. Everyone was actually in shock that Allen received a mug because McCreary housing has been responsible for at least a third of all the accidents in CAP this year and he has been to the ER twice. Apparently all his accidents were "unpreventable" so he still got a mug (Dana did not, but that is because he backed their work truck into a mailbox).

The whole luncheon, however, was a little surreal. It still hasn't quite sunk in that I am leaving soon. Last Friday I bought my plane ticket home, so it really is official. I fly into Seattle on August 26th. I don't know how long I will be there, but at least for a few weeks. The future is still filled with questions and confusion so, as always, prayers are greatly appreciated.

Blessings.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Jess,
I just love you. I'm so glad that you did not sit in your room and read 5 books a week.

Also, speaking from experience, chai tastes so much sweeter in the CAP safety mug! Cheers!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience during your time at CAP.

Also, whatever your manager said, I'm quite positive was wholy deserved. You are one special woman and I know that whatever happens this year, that God will be with you and provide for you. Don't fret about your future because it's going to be full of so many wonderful things!

I love you and I can't wait to see you when you get back to Seattle!